Saturday, August 29, 2009
JV Week 1 @ Mt. Douglas
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 9th JV SEASON OPENER ARRIVES!
Well Folks, the opening kick-off of the 2009 John Barsby Football Season is rapidly approaching and it is going to be a whopper of a game! We travel Wednesday, 9 September, to the Mt. Douglas H.S. field to engage the top ranked Ram JV squad. We had better be ready for this year's group of Rams as simply put, they have no discernable weaknesses and are the team to beat on Vancouver Island if not in all of BC AA JV play!
New this year is the Vancouver Island Classic Trophy that the winning team gets to keep in their hallway for the following year. Coach Townsend from Mt. Douglas suggested that we create such an award in honor of the fact that Mt. Douglas and John Barsby are the two original H.S. Football programs on Vancouver Island! One of our alumni, Ian Moores, answered the call and built the award you see above in our school shop this past Spring. A bit of history for everyone: Mt. Douglas and John Barsby both started Varsity play in 1996 with John Barsby beginning its JV program in 1998 and Mt. Douglas in 2003. Since 2003, no other team besides Mt. Douglas or John Barsby has won the Island JV conference championship!
Historical JV Scores as Follows:
2003 JB 16 - MD 14
2004 MD 45 - JB 12
2005 MD 35 - JB 24
2006 MD 32 - JB 0, MD 34 - JB 6
2007 No Game Played
2008 JB-18 -MD 6
This year's season opener has HUGE November playoff implications! Both teams will be playing out of their skin in this tilt!
Tale of the Tape:
Boys G. 11/12(2008): Mt. Douglas 289 John Barsby 158
Returning Players From 08: Approx. Mt. Douglas 1/2 Roster John Barsby 1/2 Roster
Mt. Douglas: Victoria Riders, 2007/2008 VMFL BC Champs
John Barsby: Harewood Dawgs 2007/2008 Island Co-Op Champs
Size: Mt. Douglas very big; largest team physically on our schedule. John Barsby "classified"
Speed: Mt. Douglas outstanding team speed! This will be fasted team we face during regular season. John Barsby "classified"
Team Quickness: Mt. Douglas Has quickness across the board on offense and defense. John Barsby "classified"
Spring Score 09 : Mt. Douglas 12 John Barsby 6
Coaching: John Barsby Coaching Staff Is Far Better Looking!
A key factor will be momentum/health. Mt. Douglas will be playing Jefferson HS of Oregon on Labour Day Weekend. This will be valuable experience against top flight competition. Coming back healthy will be big for the Rams. John Barsby will have to ramp up practice tempo in the next week and a half so as to hit the ground running come kick-off.
What parents can do to help:
1. Make sure your son is at EVERY PRACTICE!
2. Organize to car-pool to come support the boys on Wed. 9 Sept!
3. Be sure lunches are packed and everyone gets a large, balanced breakfast on game day!
4. Make sure your son begins hydrating the night before the game!
5. We need three (3) parent volunteers: 1. A volunteer to video-tape the game from the end-zone angle. 2) A volunteer to video tape the game from the side of the field (elevated) 3) A volunteer to take action photos of the game. Coach Stevenson will "coach you up" on how to video-tape a football game. Video Cameras will be provided. Please e-mail or approach Coach Stevenson or Coach Cooper if you can lend us a hand.
6. Sportsmanship: Our program teaches sportsmanship at all levels. The game is a privilege and the field a place of honor. Please cheer for our team and not against the other team! Dawgs Lead The Way!
Very Simple Directions To Mt. Douglas H.S.
1.Travel South on Island Highway until you meet intersection with Mackenzie Ave.
2. Turn Left on Mackenzie Ave. and follow it all the Way to UVIC.
3. Turn Left as you arrive at UVIC and you will see Mt. Douglas HS.
When in doubt...Google it.
Game-Day Itinerary Wednesday, September 9th, 2009
Bring: Complex Carbohydrate Snack for trip-up, 4 litre water bottle-FULL. A focused TEAM attitude!
11:41 Meet In Dawghouse/Assemble All Personal Equipment/Top-Off Water
12:01 Equipment Check
12:06 Team Boards Bus
12:16 Bus Departs
13:46 Bus Arrives @ Mt. Douglas/Use Washroom/Taping/Gear-Up
14:16 Begin Pre-Game Warm-Up
17:16 Game Ends, Both Teams shake hands and honor the privilege of being able to play a great opponent! Trophy presentation to the Victor!
17:26 Post-Game Circle
17:31 Board Bus For Return Journey
19:16 Arrive at Dawghouse/Change over gear to practice uniforms.
19:31 Players Released
Note To All:
This is a school trip. All school rules apply.
Players must travel to and from game on team bus.
Players are responsible for all missed school work due to travel. We have team study-hall after school on Thursday where tutoring and assistance will be provided by school staff and student mentors. Attendance will be taken at weekly study halls.
Try Your Hardest!
Get Better Each Day!
Do The Right Thing!
Posted by BC Gridiron at 8:18 AM